My Adventures as a Woman Writer in Hollywood
Saturday June 18, 2016 11:00 AM-1:30 PM
Saturday, June 18, 2016, the California Writers Club, Sacramento Branch proudly presents Rita Lakin at the Luncheon Meeting. Her topic is “My Adventures as a Woman Writer in Hollywood.” Her memoir is The Only Woman in the Room: Episodes in My Life and Career as a Television Writer.
- Who wrote for these Hollywood TV shows: The Doctors, Dr. Kildare, Peyton Place?
- Who was head writer of The Mod Squad?
- Who created The Rookies?
- Who wrote Movies of the Week (such as Women in Chains) and mini-series (Strong Medicine and Voices of the Heart)?
- Who developed the TV series adaptation of Flamingo Road and co-created the medical drama Nightingales?
RITA LAKIN of course!
Rita is also the creator of the Gladdy Gold Mystery book series (published by Bantam Books), including Getting Old Is Murder, Getting Old Is The Best Revenge, and Getting Old Can Kill You. She won Left Coast Crime LEFTY AWARD for most humorous mystery in 2009. Her nominations and awards include Writers Guild of America, MWA’s Edgar Award, and the University of Michigan Avery Hopwood Award.
Rita Lakin was a pioneer, a female script writer in the early 1960s when Hollywood Television was exclusively male. With guts, skill and humor, she rose to staff writer, to producer, and show-runner, meeting famous show biz legends along the way.
Rita’s new memoir, The Only Woman in the Room, is a breezy and heartfelt remembrance of a long-forgotten time when women were not considered worthy or welcome at the creative table.
On June 18, 2016 meet the real legend herself. We want Rita! We want Rita!
The meeting time on June 18 will be extended by 30 minutes in order for California Writers Club, Sacramento Branch President Margie Yee Webb to report highlights for the year, and committee chairs to announce 2016 Writing Contest Awards and declare branch election results.
- Monthly Luncheons are open to the public
- Cost is $17 for members, $20 for nonmembers
- The meeting fee includes lunch and beverage
- Cattlemens Restaurant, 12409 Folsom Blvd., Rancho Cordova, CA
The restaurant is located just east of Hazel Ave. at the northeast end of the Nimbus Winery complex along Highway 50. Cattlemens offers CWC a spacious meeting room with free WiFi, quality AV equipment, free off street parking and excellent food.