Craft Tricks from the Pros
Writers Network Meeting
August 7, 2020
10 to 11 a.m.
One-hour Zoom meeting (includes Q and A)
Genre fiction readers expect certain things. To please them, use these tried-and-true techniques from successful thriller writers.
- Understand how reader expectation determines reader satisfaction in genre fiction
- Identify a book’s “hook” and distinguish it from “theme”
- Learn Steve Berry’s definition of story: Goals + Motivation + Conflict
- Learn tricks to incorporate science into a novel
- Understand the importance of defining your audience before putting technical material in your fiction
Amy Rogers, MD, PhD, is a Harvard-educated scientist, novelist, blogger, journalist, and educator who specializes in all things science-y. Her thriller novels use real science and medicine to create plausible, frightening scenarios in the style of Michael Crichton. She is a long-time member of CWC and International Thriller Writers. Learn more at AmyRogers.com.
Join Zoom Meeting
Password (required): 424554