The Magic of Memoir
Saturday January 21, 2017 11:00 AM-1:00 PM
Brooke Warner will take you on a deep dive into the fastest-growing genre that people love to hate. What is it about memoir that’s drawing more and more writers to the genre? And why is it so controversial? We’ll take a look at what memoir actually is, how to do it well, and why it matters so much, despite—and in spite of—the critics. This discussion will touch upon both craft and process and will unpack why Brooke and so many others know memoir to be a truly magical—albeit it challenging—genre for writers.
Attendees will learn
- The five major craft points of memoir writing.
- Why memoir is so beloved and so reviled.
- The major challenges (part of process) that all writers of memoir will confront and how to work with and around them.
- Why memoir is in fact magical and why all writers of memoir know this to be true.
- How to capture the attention of agents and editors if you’re thinking about shopping your memoir.
Brooke Warner is publisher of She Writes Press and SparkPress, president of Warner Coaching Inc., and author of Green-light Your Book, What’s Your Book?, How to Sell Your Memoir, and the co-author of Breaking Ground on Your Memoir. Brooke’s expertise is in traditional and new publishing. She is the former Executive Editor of Seal Press and currently sits on the boards of the Independent Book Publishers Association, the Bay Area Book Festival, and the National Association of Memoir Writers. She writes a monthly column for Publishers Weekly and blogs actively on Huffington Post Books and SheWrites.com. She lives and works in Berkeley, California.
- Monthly Luncheons are open to the public
- Cost is $15 for members, $20 for nonmembers
- The meeting fee includes lunch and beverage
- Cattlemens Restaurant, 12409 Folsom Blvd., Rancho Cordova, CA
The restaurant is located just east of Hazel Ave. at the northeast end of the Nimbus Winery complex along Highway 50. Cattlemens offers CWC a spacious meeting room with free WiFi, quality AV equipment, free off street parking and excellent food.