Make History by Writing History
Your Path to Historical Fiction
Saturday November 19, 2016 11:00 AM-1:00 PM
The San Jose Mercury News calls her resilient, educated, street smart, and intrepid, much like her characters. Meet Mary Volmer, author of Reliance, Illinois and Crown of Dust, two acclaimed novels that give her credentials as a master of historical fiction. Join Mary at the November Luncheon to learn:
- How to navigate, and then translate, the past’s lost and often foreign landscape in a way that engages readers and conveys a sense of immediacy and authenticity.
- How to create an engaging “context” out of which the story grows.
- How to balance our (sometimes) competing allegiances to character, plot, story and historical accuracy. •What compels a writer to look back in the first place?
- How the traveler’s approach might be applied to the research, writing and revision process of any creative work.
Find out more about Mary at: http://www.maryvolmer.com.
- Monthly Luncheons are open to the public
- Cost is $15 for members, $20 for nonmembers
- The meeting fee includes lunch and beverage
- Cattlemens Restaurant, 12409 Folsom Blvd., Rancho Cordova, CA
The restaurant is located just east of Hazel Ave. at the northeast end of the Nimbus Winery complex along Highway 50. Cattlemens offers CWC a spacious meeting room with free WiFi, quality AV equipment, free off street parking and excellent food.