Trends in YA Books
Tanya Egan Gibson
Novelist and Freelance Editor
11 AM–1:00 PM
Break Into (and Stay in) the Young Adult Market
Are you writing YA—or an adult book about a teen? Learn what features qualify a book for this hot segment of the publishing marketplace.
- How to assess whether you are writing (or have already written) a YA book versus a book for adults featuring a teen.
- How to stay current with YA trends (without being too trendy).
- Common mistakes to avoid when writing for this market and common misconceptions that writers have about YA.
- How to self-edit your YA novel…and what to do next when you have self-edited to the best of your ability.
- Ways to get acquainted with this market before you begin shopping your novel.
About the speaker:
Tanya Egan Gibson is the author of the novel How to Buy a Love of Reading and a freelance editor. Her short fiction for adults and young adults has been published in Carve and Cicada and has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize. She has written for magazines such as The Writer, Parents, and Writer’s Digest. She has been in California Writers Club for nearly twenty years and was a founding member of the Marin Branch.
Registration opens at 10:15 a.m.
Lunch service begins at 11:00 a.m.
~ Additional Offerings ~
Talk & Share (10:30) – Best First Sentences, with member Jim Guigli
California Writers Week Celebration – Silent auction, cake
All About eBooks (1:30 ) – Discussion with Jim Azevedo (Smashwords), facilitated by member Bob Quinlan
$20 Members (40% discount)
Price includes lunch, meeting, pre- and post-sessions.
Pay at the door or click here for pre-payment by credit card for the meeting.
(Please bring your printed receipt with you.)*
12409 Folsom Blvd
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
* Ticket good only for the meeting immediately following the date on the receipt.
- Monthly Meetings are open to the public
- Cost is $20 for members, $28 for nonmembers
- The meeting fee includes speaker, extra session(s), lunch and beverage
- Cattlemens Restaurant, 12409 Folsom Blvd., Rancho Cordova, CA
The restaurant is located just east of Hazel Ave. at the northeast end of the Nimbus Winery complex along Highway 50. Cattlemens offers CWC a spacious meeting room with free WiFi, quality AV equipment, free off street parking and excellent food.