Saturday, September 23
(Please Note the Date Change)
Writing Deep Scenes: Essentials for Page-Turning Fiction
The scene is the essential DNA of storytelling. Learn to master this crucial element and you’re well on your way to page-turning fiction! Jordan will present the four key markers of plot, how your character needs to transform emotionally, and where to put scenes in order to build a page-turning plot. She will cover:
- What makes a scene
- How to show, don’t tell, in scenes or, in other words, demonstrate, don’t lecture
- How to incorporate the three key layers of plot in scene: Action, Emotion, and Theme
- An array of different scene types
- How to know which scenes go where in your story
Jordan E. Rosenfeld is author of five books on writing and three novels. Her newest book is Writing the Intimate Character: Create Unique, Compelling Characters Through Mastery of Point of View, as well as A Writer’s Guide to Persistence, Writing Deep Scenes (with Martha Alderson), and Make a Scene. Jordan’s articles and essays have appeared in The Atlantic, The New York Times, New York Magazine, Scientific American, The Daily Beast, New York Magazine, The New York Times, The Rumpus, The Washington Post, Writer’s Digest, and more.
Meeting Time: 11 AM–1:00 PM
(Early-Bird Tip: 10:15; guests welcome)
Cost: $15 members/$20 guests (includes lunch)
Meeting Location: Cattlemens Restaurant
12409 Folsom Blvd, Rancho Cordova
You can Pay in Advance with a credit or debit card by clicking on the Sacramento Writers Online Store.
Plus a Bonus 2.5-Hour After-Meeting Workshop
Get Intimate With Your Characters:
Master the Art of Point of View
for Dazzling Character Development
Immediately Following the General Meeting from 1:30 to 4 PM, September 23
$25 Members/$30 Guests
What makes those books you can’t put down compelling? Unforgettable, unique characters. Mastery of Point of View (POV) allows readers to engage intimately with characters and dive deep into your stories. Strong POV and fabulous character development go hand in hand. Write the strongest characters you can:
Writers in this bonus workshop will:
- Unlock the essentials of each POV.
- Learn to use perceptual, sensory and other key “cues” to reveal character.
- Determine which POV is right for your project.
- Notice when you are POV jumping and learn to correct this.
- Learn secrets of simple character development
Questions to: Kimberly A. Edwards, email@example.com
- Monthly Luncheons are open to the public
- Cost is $15 for members, $20 for nonmembers
- The meeting fee includes speaker, lunch and beverage
- Cattlemens Restaurant, 12409 Folsom Blvd., Rancho Cordova, CA
The restaurant is located just east of Hazel Ave. at the northeast end of the Nimbus Winery complex along Highway 50. Cattlemens offers CWC a spacious meeting room with free WiFi, quality AV equipment, free off street parking and excellent food.